What to Do If You Get Caught Drinking Underage in Utah

The law in Utah specifies that a person under the age of 21 may not have a measurable amount of alcohol in their body. If that is the case, they can be charged with the crime of “minor in possession.” This is especially troubling because the punishment isn’t even the lowest level of misdemeanor (class C).

Since the drinking age is 21, but you are considered an adult for most things in the eyes of the law at age 18, there are a lot of legal issues you may find yourself dealing with if you choose to drink in high school or college.

The crime of minor in possession is a class B misdemeanor, meaning if you are caught and charged, you could face a maximum penalty of up to 6 months in jail and/or be fined up to $1,000. Not to mention your driver’s license could be suspended. This is why it’s crucial to find an experienced lawyer to defend you if you are charged with underage drinking.

Experience You Can Trust Defending Your Underage Drinking Charges

The laws in Utah don’t only apply to having a measurable amount of alcohol in your body. You could also be charged with a class B misdemeanor if you are caught purchasing alcohol, attempting to purchase alcohol, soliciting another person to purchase alcohol, possessing alcohol, and the list goes on.

To protect your future, it’s important that you have an experienced lawyer who knows the most effective defense strategies to fight back against underage drinking charges. The legal team at Brown, Bradshaw & Moffat is prepared to handle any and every kind of case involving underage drinking laws in Utah. Our expert team has experience protecting people against the following crimes (and more):

Preparing For Your Case

With nearly two decades of experience defending underage clients against all kinds of alcohol charges, you can be sure we will look into every detail of your case and prepare a solid defense. If you want to do some of your own research on Utah’s underage drinking laws and penalties, you can visit our minor in possession of alcohol page to find more information.

Finding A Defense Lawyer for Your Underage Drinking Charges In Utah

Whether you need help with a class B misdemeanor from an alcohol possession or consumption charge or for more severe felony charges—including drinking and driving—the lawyers at Brown, Bradshaw & Moffat will work hard to defend your rights and help you navigate the criminal justice system and get you back on track for a successful future.

Give us a call at (801) 532-5297 so we can start working on your case today.

Defend your case with the best criminal defense attorneys in Utah

Get a confidential case evaluation

Our office will contact you as soon as possible to arrange for you to discuss the facts of your case with an experienced criminal defense attorney in Salt Lake City, Utah.​ The use of this form for communication with our personnel does not establish an attorney-client relationship.