Most traffic offenses are classified as infractions (no imprisonment and fines up to $750) or class C misdemeanors (maximum imprisonment of 90 days and fines up to $750). Some traffic offenses, such as drunk driving, are classified as more serious offenses which have penalties such as longer terms of imprisonment and higher fines.
Attorney for Traffic Crimes in Salt Lake City, UT
The attorneys at Brown, Bradshaw & Moffat, LLP help clients charged with traffic crimes throughout Salt Lake City, Utah, and the surrounding areas. Call us to find out what you need to do right now to protect your criminal record and your driving privileges.
Call (801) 532-5297 today.
Utah Traffic Crimes Information Center
- Types of Traffic Crimes in Utah
- The Point System for Traffic Offenses in Utah
- Utah's Justice Reinvestment Initiative in House Bill 348
- Additional Resources
Utah law provides for a wide variety of felony and misdemeanor traffic offenses including:
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI);
- Reckless Driving;
- Hit and Run / Leaving the Scene of an Accident;
- No Alcohol Conditional License Violations;
- Driving While License Suspended or Revoked; and
- Failing to Stop at the Command of a Law Enforcement Officer.
If you have questions about a criminal or civil traffic infraction in Utah, then contact an experienced attorney at Brown, Bradshaw & Moffat, LLP to discuss your case. We represent clients on a wide range of traffic offenses, including after a missed court date or failure to appear in court in a traffic case. Call (801) 532-5297 today.
A conviction can result in points being added to your driver's license for certain types of traffic charges including:
- Reckless Driving - 80 points
- Speeding (depending on severity) - 37-75 points
- Failure to Yield Right-of-Way - 60 points
- Following Too Closely - 60 points
- Wrong Side of Road - 60 points
- Red Light - 50 points
- Stop Sign - 50 points
- Improper Lookout - 50 points
- Negligent Collision - 50 points
- Other Moving Violations - 40 points
Effective May 12, 2015, the Justice Reinvestment Initiative in House Bill 348 reclassified certain misdemeanor traffic offenses from class B misdemeanor to class C misdemeanor or from class C misdemeanor to infraction.
This legislation was intended to focus jail resources on higher-level offenders and to relieve undue burdens on counties in Utah. Penalties for reckless driving offenses and DUI offenses were not changed under this legislation.
Traffic Offenses in Utah - Visit the Utah Courts website to find more information on traffic offenses, classification of offenses, fines, court appearances and more.
Finding an Attorney for Traffic Crimes in Salt Lake City, Utah
After an arrest for a criminal traffic offense in Utah, then you should discuss your case with an experienced attorney for these types of cases. We represent clients on a wide range of criminal offenses committed in a motor vehicle or on the roadway. The knowledgeable criminal defense lawyers at Brown, Bradshaw & Moffat, LLP are ready to assist you.
Call (801) 532-5297 to discuss your case. Let us put our experience to work for you.